The rainy cold season is upon us and we don't know about you, but we're not ready for it! But, with the turning of the new year, it's a good time to start thinking about those annual home maintenance tasks that just need to get done. We've compiled a list of the things we need to get done this winter - feel free to add your own suggestions below!
1. Change the furnace filter. This should be done more frequently than one a year, especially during the heating season.
2. Test GFCI outlets to ensure they are working properly. To test, plug in a radio and turn it on, then push the test button on the outlet. If the radio shuts off, the outlet is working as it should!
3. Add insulation to prevent ice from freezing in pipes and even to protect against fires.
4. Touch up interior paint. The is more of an aesthetic task, but it makes a big difference! Make sure that the rooms are properly ventilated and set up extra lights to make sure you don't miss any spots in dark corners.
5. Winterize windows by caulking or weatherstripping. If the windows are very drafty, the ideal solution would be to replace them.
6. Clean out dryer vents. Unfortunately, sometimes lint can make it's way to the dryer vent even though you have a lint filter. Cleaning the vent is one way to reduce the possibility of a fire.
7. Test and update alarm and alert systems. Your home should have a smoke alarm on every floor and in every bedroom. Also, make sure carbon monoxide detectors are working.
8. Finally, now is a good time to review your homeowners insurance coverage. Especially if you made improvements since your last renewal, you want to make sure those are adequately covered.